Total Pageviews

Friday 10 June 2016

Books of Small Prophets Amos Chapter 1






Book of Small Prophets


Amos 

Chapter 1



I would like to start this chapter with a little humour:



A teacher was explaining the concept of 'give and take' to John a boy who had just been reprimanded for having beaten up another student. Johns reply to the teacher;s explanation was the following;

I understand the concept of give and take and acted according to the principle, I gave willy a black eye and took his banana!


1. The words of Amos, who was among the shepherds of Tekoa, which he saw concerning Israel in the days of King Uzziah of Judah and in the days of King Jeroboam son of Joash of Israel, two years before the earthquake.


(Book of Small Prophets Amos Chapter 1 verse 1)



Oh God my Father You made Your messages known to us by people who were humble and by means of those who led a simple  life and not by famous and intelligent people. Nasa has made many predictions about events that may happen and even those concerning the  end of times, however, nobody by You knows the exact truth about how and when this is to take place, for everything is under Your control Amen.



2. And he said: The LORD roars from Zion, and utters his voice from Jerusalem; the pastures of the shepherds wither, and the top of Carmel dries up.


(Book of Small Prophets Amos Chapter 1 verse 2)



 Oh God, my Father nature is subject to You, even though we do not hear your roaring voice, by means of nature, it is evident that we have angered and wronged You. Even events such as what we consider as being 'natural disasters' could be a message of disapproval for the acts of humanity. Amen.



3. Thus says the LORD: For three transgressions of Damascus, and for four, I will not revoke the punishment; because they have threshed Gilead with threshing sledges of iron.


(Book of Small Prophets Amos Chapter 1 verse 3)



Although You love us, my God and Father, You cannot turn a blind eye for our transgressions, therefore, I wish to thank You even for the negative consequences that I experienced due to my sins Amen.


 4. So I will send a fire on the house of Hazael, and it shall devour the strongholds of Ben-hadad. 5. I will break the gate bars of Damascus, and cut off the inhabitants from the Valley of Aven, and the one who holds the scepter from Beth-eden; and the people of Aram shall go into exile to Kir, says the LORD.


(Book of Small Prophets Amos Chapter 1 verses 4 to 5)


Oh God, there is none like You! Your justice surpasses that of even the wisest of people who ever existed, there is none like You. I invite you all to join me in this moment of praise and worship by clicking on the following link Amen.



Who is like the LORD?



6. Thus says the LORD: For three transgression of Gaza, and for four, I will not revoke the punishment, because they carried into exile entire communities, to hand them over to Edom. 7. So I will send a fire on the wall of Gaza, fire that shall devour its strongholds. 8. I will cut off the inhabitants from Ashdod, and the one who holds the scepter from Ashkelon; I will turn my hand against Ekron, and the remnant of the Philistines shall perish, says the Lord GOD.


(Books of Small Prophets Amos Chapter 1 verses 6 to 8)


Oh God my Father although You greatly love us You cannot turn a blind eye on our sins. When we accomplish a negative action we are bound to experience the consequences of that action Amen.



9. Thus says the LORD: For three transgressions of Tyre, and for four, I will not revoke the punishment; because they delivered entire communities over to Edom, and did not remember the covenant of kinship.


(Books of Small Prophets Amos Chapter 1 verse 9)


Oh God, my Father I ask Your forgiveness for at times I also did not remember the covenant of kinship. Although I receive your forgiveness time and time again, I still hold people in my black books and find it really hard to forgive them. Oh God, my Father I pray for your healing Amen.



10. So I will send a fire on the wall of Tyre, fire that shall devour its strongholds.


(Book of Small Prophets Amos Chapter 1 verse 10)


Oh God my Father that we believe more in the never ending fires of hell than in the fires of the world that have a beginning and an end Amen.



11. Thus says the LORD; For three transgressions of Edom, and for four; I will not revoke the punishment; because he pursued his brother with the sword and cast of all pity; he maintained his anger perpetually, and kept his wrath forever. 12. So I will send a fire on Teman, and it shall devour the strongholds of Bozrah.


(Book of Small Prophets Amos Chapter 1 verses 11 to 12) 



Oh God my Father although we may not pursue each other with the sword, we may pursue each other with the tongue which is also a lethal weapon Amen. 



13. Thus says the LORD: For three transgressions of the Ammonites, and for four, I will not revoke the punishment; because they have ripped open pregnant women in Gilead in order to enlarge their territory.  14. So I will kindle a fire against the wall of Rabbah, fire that shall devour its strongholds, with shouting on the day of battle, with a storm on the day of the whirlwind; 15. then their king shall go into exile, he and his officials together says the LORD.



(Book of Small Prophets Amos Chapter 1 verses 13 to 15)



Oh God my Father as a parent there comes a time when one has to make decisions. May we base our decisions on the discerning of Your will and not based on emotions or rationality.






I would like to end this chapter with the following prayer:



Oh God, my Father may we imitate You in our sense of justice. May we be also caring lovable and understanding.May we courageously stand up for the truth and strongly be against all injustice and do our best with Your help to do all that is right and acceptable in Your eyes. Amen





















No comments: